Do you remember when you were a kid and you stayed out playing till the last bit of light left the sky? Do you remember how you could become wholly absorbed in the adventure of play? I do. And this summer I want to go back to there. With you!
I've cooked up 6 projects that form the framework of this class. But of course there are rabbit holes also to be explored and naturally I will lead the way down whichever ones I find. One lovely paper idea leads to another and another and another. I'm going to get you started, but then you'll be off and flying - sewing & pattern-making deep into the heart of summer. I want each project to surprise and delight you, so to that end, I am only revealing a few sneak peeks scattered here and there. The full monty will be revealed week by week. I believe it will please you.
The foundation of SEWN is built upon patterns. We'll start out painting patterns on large paper which we'll use in our projects. then we're constructing a super simple ramshackle pattern book which we'll revisit often during class. Think of it as a storage facility to store all of the patterns you'll be dreaming up. I'll keep your mind furnished with loads of inspiration.
From sewing up paper fabric, to making bright & breezy paper lanterns (decorative only not for lights) and super cool paper panels. You're gonna feel like you've been washed in a stream of ideas. I cannot wait to see what you make and where you go from here. Can. Not. Wait.
Rev your sewing machines, put on your party pants, and let's roll! Summer school is getting ready to start
- registration begins Saturday, June 15, 2013
- summer school starts with a BANG on July 4, 2013
- the class will be "live" for 4 weeks. after that it becomes self-paced.
- 1-2 new projects each week
- 20 videos so far with over 90 minutes of instruction. (there is not a pdf for this class)
- class blog will remain open indefinitely. no expiration date.
- an enthusiastic Yahoo group full of nice, helpful, people (who like to host paper swaps!)
- a Flickr group for posting class creations
- weekly video blog where I pass along information I think will be useful. I'll also share what I've been working on as related to SEWN.
- the supplies are simple: paper, paint, scissors, sewing machine, and a fertile imagination. there is only 1 "specialty"supply but it is easily found, inexpensive, and you'll have plenty of time to get it. it's listed on the class blog.
- This is not a sewing course, but a machine will be required. I use a very basic inexpensive Brother machine. It will help if you know how to thread a needle, wind a bobbin, and sew a zig-zag and a straight stitch.